It's Super Bowl Sunday and it's going to be a very fun - and loud - day. The average volume at an NFL stadium is 95 decibels - that's like standing next to a jackhammer or a subway train!
It's not just NFL stadiums that are incredibly loud. A group of audiologists for hearing solutions manufacturer Oticon tested noise levels during NFL playoffs at popular sports bars in several cities. Check out their findings:
Whether you have tickets to the game or are watching it at a bar, follow these tips to protect your hearing:
- Use disposable ear plugs. Foam ear plugs are just a few dollars and can be found at any drugstore!
- Better yet, order and use custom ear plugs. These are molded to fit your ears and contain special filters so you can still enjoy conversation and music at the game. They will last for years and are an investment in your health.
- Move away from loud speakers.
- Schedule breaks to the snack bar or walk around the stadium to give your ears a rest.
- While it’s not uncommon for ears to ring for a short period after being in a noisy environment, if the ringing
doesn’t go away after 3 or more days, contact us for a check-up.
Enjoy the game!